Assisted Self-help Kit (ASK)
ASK is a comprehensive self-assessment compliance package that aids businesses to review the correctness of their GST submissions and discover past GST errors early so as to qualify for IRAS’ Voluntary Disclosure Programme.
Purpose of ASK
ASK helps businesses, especially those who have just registered for GST or are filing GST for the first time, to self-assess their GST submissions and to discover past GST errors early.
Key Aspects of ASK
ASK is a self-assessment package that focuses on three key aspects:
1. Putting in place good GST Practices comprising People, Record-Keeping, Systems and Internal Controls to properly handle the GST reporting of transactions;
2. Self-assessment using the Pre-Filing Checklist to ensure that GST returns are correct before submission; and
3. Performing Annual Review of past GST returns to detect errors early and to avoid costly penalties
Features of ASK
There are 3 sections in the ASK package. Businesses may implement each section individually or put all 3 sections into practice.
Section 1: GST Practices
What is it
GST Practices helps you to put in place internal processes covering People, Record-Keeping, Systems and Internal Controls to ensure overall GST compliance.
Recommended for - Businesses planning to register for GST - Businesses that are newly registered for GST
Section 2: Pre-Filing Checklist
What is it Pre-Filing Checklist helps you to perform quality checks on your GST returns before submission.
Recommended for - Businesses filing their first GST return - GST-registered businesses with new business arrangement or change in GST personnel
Section 3: ASK Annual Review
What is it ASK Annual Review helps you to perform regular review of past GST returns for early detection of errors.
Recommended for - All GST-registered businesses
Compulsory or Voluntary Adoption of ASK
GST-registered businesses may adopt ASK on a voluntary basis.
Conducting ASK is compulsory when you are applying for or renewing these GST Schemes.
Applying for GST Scheme
ASK is compulsory when you are applying for the following GST Schemes:
1. Import GST Deferment Scheme (IGDS); 2. Approved Marine Customer Scheme (AMCS); 3. Approved Contract Manufacturer and Trader (ACMT) Scheme; 4. Approved Refiner and Consolidator Scheme (ARCS); 5. Major Exporter Scheme (MES); 6. Approved Import GST Suspension Scheme (AISS); or 7. Approved Third Party Logistics (3PL) Company Scheme.
Renewing GST Schemes
ASK is compulsory when you are renewing the following GST Schemes:
1. Import GST Deferment Scheme (IGDS); 2. Major Exporter Scheme (MES); or 3. Approved Contract Manufacturer and Trader (ACMT) Scheme.
ASK Annual Review
One of the qualifying conditions for these GST schemes is that businesses have to perform a self-review using ASK and submit the ASK: Declaration Form on Completing Annual Review & Voluntary Disclosure of Errors.
Bestar has accredited tax professionals with the expertise and experience to assist businesses to perform the ASK Annual Review. For more information, please contact Bestar.