Updated: May 23
The EntrePass allows eligible foreign entrepreneurs to start and operate a business in Singapore that is venture-backed or possesses innovative technologies.
Eligibility for EntrePass
This work pass is intended for serial foreign entrepreneurs, high-calibre innovators or experienced investors who are keen to operate a business in Singapore that is venture-backed or owns innovative technologies.
EntrePass is open to all nationalities.
You can apply for an EntrePass if you meet both conditions:
- Have started, or intend to start, a private limited company registered with ACRA that is venture-backed or owns innovative technologies. If registered, the company must be less than 6 months old on the date you apply. If not registered, you can do so after you know the outcome of your application.
A company is considered venture-backed or owns innovative technologies if it has:
Raised funding from capital providers including government investment vehicles, venture capitalists, corporates, family offices, and business angels.
Developed, produced or commercialised tech products, services or platforms.
Registered patents with an approved national IP institution.
Ongoing research collaboration with a research institution.
- Meet any of the following innovative criteria as an entrepreneur, innovator or investor listed below. You do not need to meet all of the criteria for each respective profile, but having more qualifications would help your application.
Has fund from a government-recognised VC or business angel
Your company raised funding of at least $100,000 from a government investment vehicle, venture capitalist (VC) or business angel that is recognised by a Singapore Government agency.
Is an incubatee at a government-recognised incubator or accelerator
Your company is an existing incubatee at an incubator or accelerator in Singapore that is recognised by the Government.
Has business network and entrepreneurial track record
You have significant business experience or network and promising entrepreneurial track record of starting highly-scalable businesses and want to start and operate an innovative tech or venture-backed business in Singapore.
You must fulfil any of the following:
- You have founded and sold a tech company.
- You have raised significant funding from investors for a current or past venture.
- You have been or are being incubated by an internationally renowned incubator or accelerator.
- You can demonstrate how your business networks and track record can contribute to the growth of your proposed business in Singapore (e.g. produce a letter of intent from prospective customers).
Holds an intellectual property
You or your company holds an intellectual property (IP), registered with an approved national IP institution, which delivers a significant competitive advantage to our proposed business that cannot be easily replicated.
You must fulfill all of the following:
- Your IP must be registered with an approved national IP institution.
- Your IP delivers a competitive advantage to your proposed business and cannot be easily replicated.
- One of the shareholders or the company must be the owner of the IP.
- Expired IP can be considered as long as one of the shareholders is the inventor of the IP.
Has a research collaboration with an IHL or research institute in Singapore
Your company has an ongoing research collaboration with a research institution under the Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR), an Institute of Higher Learning (IHL) in Singapore.
You must fulfill all of the following:
- The research collaboration must be related to your proposed business.
- The research institution needs to provide a contact person to verify details of the research collaboration.
- You must be involved with ongoing research collaboration.
- Contract of services is not considered to be research collaboration.
Has extraordinary achievements in key areas of expertise
You have exceptional technical or domain expertise in an area related to your proposed business that is either venture-backed or owns innovative technologies.
You must fulfil all of the following:
- Your area of expertise must be related to your proposed business.
- You have outstanding achievements or received international recognition in your area of technical or domain expertise.
Has investment track record You have a good track record of investing in businesses and want to grow new or existing businesses in Singapore.
You are willing to invest a substantial amount of money in local tech startups and can provide supporting documents to show that you have one of the following:
A strong track record of investing in and driving growth of highly-scalable businesses.
Plans (i.e. quantum, period and pipeline) to invest in other local innovative or tech startups.
At least 8 years' experience as a senior management professional or executive in a large corporation that can help to scale up local innovative or tech startups.
Businesses that are not eligible
The following businesses are not eligible for an EntrePass:
Coffee shops, hawker centres, food courts.
Bars, night clubs, karaoke lounges.
Foot reflexology, massage parlours.
Acupuncture, traditional Chinese medicine, herbal dispensing businesses.
No stipulated minimum salary.
What is the duration
New pass and first renewal: 1 year
Subsequent renewals: 2 years
Passes for family
Available for certain family members of pass holders.