Registration for a Singapore Representative Office
Keen to explore the bountiful opportunities in the region offered by Singapore but unsure about setting up a permanent office?
A Representative Office allows you to assess the viability of doing business in Singapore and the region, before committing to any large-scale investments.
A Representative Office is a temporary facility with no statutory obligations to file financial accounts and tax returns with the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA) and the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore (IRAS). It is therefore the ideal entry mode for a foreign entity to evaluate the business environment in Singapore before deciding to set up a permanent establishment.
As the Representative Office is intended as a stepping stone to a full-fledged operation, it can only engage in market research and feasibility studies such as:
• Gathering market information, competitive intelligence and customer data
• Conducting market research on product demand, customers’ requirements and price expectations
• Collating information on regulatory requirements related to establishing a permanent business entity in Singapore
• Cultivating trade contacts and managing product enquiries
• Participating in trade shows and exhibitions
The Representative Office should not provide services nor render any direct or indirect revenue generation activities on behalf of its parent company.
As the Representative Office is purely temporary, it can only operate in Singapore for a maximum of three years from the date of its inception. During this period, the Representative Office must also be renewed annually upon evaluation by Enterprise Singapore.
Converting your representative office into a legal business entity
When you are ready to establish a more permanent presence in Singapore, the Representative Office can be converted into a subsidiary company or a branch office.
Requirements to register a representative office
Qualification for foreign commercial entities
• The foreign parent company must have a sales turnover in excess of US$250,000
• The foreign parent company must have been established for three years or more
• The Representative Office must adhere to the maximum headcount of four employees
• Copy of the parent company’s Certificate of Incorporation or Business Registration Certificate (where applicable) in English or an official English translation
• Copy of the parent company’s latest audited accounts
• Non-refundable processing fee of S$200 per year
Contact Bestar for more information.